Tuesday, December 23, 2008

TIme 4 Learning


Time 4 Learning is an online educational program for ages pre-K through 8th grade. It covers math, language arts, science and social studies. For homeschoolers, I feel that the program is used best as supplemental instead of the main curriculum. (Just my opinion. Others may find that they can use it for the bulk of their studies.)


For this review, my main guinea pigs were my two oldest boys. They are the main computer users (meaning, they can navigate pretty well without my constant supervision).


There is much to cover with this program, but I’m going to try and hit the main highlights.
Initially, the parent fills out a questionnaire about the student being signed up. The questions allow for a grade level to be assigned as a starting point. The program is very flexible, and can be started at any time, including mid-year.


The student can choose from a subject, then concept, and work on the self-guided lesson at their own pace. A check mark indicates when the concept has been completed and a percentage given indicating the level of mastery.


Both of my boys seemed to enjoy the site. As for the teacher, there are printable lesson plans that show the concepts being covered and progress reports showing each student’s progress in the individual subjects.


I do need to point out that this is not a Christian curriculum and it does not claim to be. Having said that, you may want to preview the science sections before allowing your child to complete them. As with any site, I want to know what my children are seeing and learning. Just because it is “educational” in nature doesn’t mean that it is something I want my children to learn.


Though I do like it, this site is a little out of our price range. The monthly membership fee is $19.95 for the first child and $14.95 for each additional child. So for only two out of the four, I would be spending approximately $35.00. Being the bargain shopper, I can find many other resources for learning that are far less than that amount.


To read what others are saying about this site, go to the TOS Homeschool Crew’s review links.

No comments: