Saturday, February 21, 2009

Artistic Pursuits Grades 4-6 Book One


I loved art in high school but I have to confess that it has been a difficult thing for me to teach my kids. I’m not sure why. Probably because I could never find the right thing to use. Until now.


I love Artistic Pursuits. I received Grades 4-6 Book One: The Elements of Art and Composition. It is such a great program. The book suggests two classes per week for one hour to finish the book in one school year.


For each unit, students are presented vocabulary, given a creative exercise, exposed to a work of art from history that relates to the subject and shown techniques. Some of the topics of this particular book are Space, Line and Shape, Contrast and Form. A few of the techniques covered are texturing, blending, shading and scratch art.


I love the fact that this curriculum covers multiple levels and is non-consumable. While using it now for my older children, I will be able to use it for the younger two in a few years.
Artistic Pursuits also has other levels, from preschoolers to high schoolers. The book that I have retails for $42.95 which is great for a whole year of art instruction. If you’d like to get a closer look at each level, check out their website at http://www.artisticpursuits.com/. For reviews of other ARTistic Pursuits products, head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog!

No comments: